BunnyBlab

Where I blab about bunnies and encourage your bunny (and other animal) stories.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Salad night, part 2 (or, How obvious can a bunny be?!)

So last night (or rather, this morning at about 2 a.m.), I get around to making salads for my kids... and I want to add another item to the "Who knew? Bunny ppl did" bucket. Pea saw me fiddling around in the kitchen and weaved around my feet and generally was as obvious as she knew how to be, waiting for me to get out the bags of veggies from the fridge to make the salad. Once I got the big silver bowl out that I use to rinse everything, she was about beside herself. When I gave her her first piece of red leaf lettuce, she was content. She sat at the bowl that I kept tossing random greens in as they were getting washed. She didn't move for about 15 minutes, just chowing on whatever I put in. Hops only came over when he heard Pea getting a sneak peek of the salad.

Who knew that bunnies bug their humans for salad when they know it's salad time? Bunny ppl did.

Part of the issue was that Pea's been boarded at the vet's for the past 9 days. The girl's just starving for a homemade meal. The vet gives her about 2 or 3 kinds of greens a day, but Mommy's salads are tops, and the girl knows it. I think this week's salad has about 11 ingredients. Besides, the chick needs quantity.

Why was she boarded when the other three were home when I was in Cancun? She stopped eating for about 4 or 5 days when she was at the peak of the ear mite fiasco. That messed up her flora and enzymes in her gut and her poo was not normal. Now, my neighbor and friend and oft-bunnysitter, Judy, is a dear-hearted person, but she doesn't know what to look for in a bunny whose system is questionable. So I decided to spend the money to have Pea under supervision of people who knew exactly what to look for and who would watch her closely. True, she had to do without kisses and cuddles (although I think she actually gets some lovin' from the vet techs and Drs. Hartman and Tast at Wellesley Animal Hospital) for over a week, but she was in much better hands and also I had my mind set at ease. Especially since I was basically out of even phone reach, being in a foreign country. I was playing "let's leave voicemails for each other" with Dr. Hartman (TG for Skype and Internet cafes!), so I knew how she was doing, but if something went wrong and she was home, I woulda been stuck. Also, it wouldn't have been fair to Judy, and she knew it.

So, Pea had her week's dose of cuddles and pets and kisses from me on the car ride on the way home. Then I told Hops she was home (she was hanging out in the living room and he was in the bedroom), and he went over and gave her LOADS of kisses, welcoming her back. He kept asking me where she was from Saturday night to Monday evening when I was home (kept hopping around the joint to look for her and then coming up to me with a quizzical look on his face -- yes, bunnies have quizzical looks). I couldn't pick her up until last evening bc I got in after closing hours on Saturday and the vet office isn't open for discharges or appointments on Sundays. Monday I had to be at work, but left early to go get her.

"So," I hear you asking, "how is she?!" She's kinda fine. She's eating and pooping, which is wonderful (believe it or not), but she needs to be watched and I have a gut-stabilizing medicine I have to give her a dab of once a day (name of which escapes me now, but I'll post it when I can). Dr. Tast has tested it herself and said, "It's sweet. She'll like it." I go, "Yeah, that's what you said about the antibiotics she was on and I had to fight her for that." Dr. Tast smiled knowingly -- whenever you think a bunny will OF COURSE like something, they (of course) don't. But this is just a dab a day, so I think we'll be good...

Thank you, BJ, Theresa and Richard, for sending my kids good wishes from the ear mite thing. They're all better in that respect. One squirt of insecticide knocked that stuff right out. Good thing, too, bc my little baby girl was kinda in the dumps bc of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home