BunnyBlab

Where I blab about bunnies and encourage your bunny (and other animal) stories.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Pea's still trouble

So SweetPea is the only one who doesn't stay out 24/7. She's got her huge condo to sleep in at night because she's a trouble monster when we're sleeping. She'll chew on stuff, throw stuff around. Basically wake us up. For sanity's sake (ours), she's locked up. And she loves it. You say "Go to bed, Pea!" and she hops off for her condo, where she knows raisins and a big salad await. (Okay, sometimes it takes me thumping the ground a little, but she knows what she's supposed to do and gets there eventually.)


Pea looking innocent and happy with Hops



But the last two nights, Pea's taken to tossing her metal food dish (that hooks onto the bars of the condo) with food in it during the morning when I'm still sleeping. Sometimes I just yell at her: "Pea, knock it off!" It never takes more than 1 or 2 scoldings, though. She knows English better than I give her credit for sometimes.

This morning I got out of bed and went right to my computer. I had a podcast to record with my buddy Matt Villano. As soon as Pea saw me (the condo is in the same room as my office), she started rattling around. Basically being as loud as she can be. Not for playing, but for "Hey, lemme out!"

So I went over to her cage and said, "Now, Pea, you're being a bad bunny. You have to be quiet so I can work. Don't be naughty." Any normal non-bunny person would think I was crazy if I thought she understood me, but didn't Pea shut right up?! And she stayed quiet for the whole podcast, right up until after it I went over to her cage and told her what a good girl she was and fed her raisins (by holding one end of them in my mouth and letting her take them -- a special-occasion delivery method) and let her out.

She was so happy when he was out that she immediately ran a little Bunny 500, ending up across the room facing me. I did a little squich sound (a playful one my bunnies have come to know) and she binkied into the bedroom to meet up with her cohorts, Hops and Kayla.

It's moments like these that make having bunnies so great. Also, you know, I feel like Snow White. :-)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 1/23/2009 4:51 PM, Blogger Deb Cushman said…

    I believe that Freckles knows exactly what I'm saying, it's just that sometimes she want to igore it!

     
  • At 1/23/2009 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A special-occasion delivery method? I should try it!

     
  • At 1/23/2009 9:38 PM, Blogger Dana Gillin said…

    thefluffies: it's stinkin' cute. But the bun has to trust you to do it! Always a caveat!

    FreckesandDeb: They only listen when they wanna. And people say cats are stubborn!

     
  • At 1/23/2009 10:05 PM, Blogger RG said…

    Those bunns - especially Pea - have taught you well! Hopefully you keep the shades drawn and the doors locked during these "interaction" times!

     
  • At 1/29/2009 2:40 PM, Blogger Carmen S. said…

    Your bunny pics are adorable!!!

     
  • At 1/30/2009 12:49 PM, Blogger Dana Gillin said…

    Thanks, Carmen. I owe it all to the cuteness of my kids (and not at all to my mediocre at best photography abilities)!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home