BunnyBlab

Where I blab about bunnies and encourage your bunny (and other animal) stories.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Considering adding a greyhound to the zoo


Having lost 3 bunnies since August '08, I'm feeling like an empty-nester just having SweetPea and Bandit. My first priority is definitely their level of comfort and security (not to mention safety!), but I'd really love to add a dog to the mix.

Something about greyhounds has me captivated. They seem majestic and graceful and sweet and laid back and fun. I've known a grey or two in my life (Pharaoh was an incredibly loving dog), but I'm definitely more filled with questions than with answers at this point.

Now, you may think adding a sighthound to a house with a prey animal and a shy cat is insane, but I think that if I can bond an unneutered bunny boy (Hops) to three spayed bunny girls (Ariel, Kayla and SweetPea) and have them live in peace, I can pretty much do anything with animals. Not to mention the intro of the cat (predator much?) to a mix with three bunnies (Kayla, Hops and SweetPea), two of whom became immobile (read: helpless to run from said predator) during her early residence in the house. No incidents occurred at all between the cat and the bunnies. Now, you may think I just got lucky, that Bandit would run from a fly if it flew towards her (and you'd be right, my friend), but I'd also like to think life is peaceful with my zoo because I introduced them right and took my time and let each of them know what was to be expected of them.

So I definitely need more information on the subject.

Enter my Pet Website Of The Week (if only I could keep up that pace!): GreyTalk.com. These people are greyhound fanatics. And I say that with awe and appreciation and respect. They tell it like it is. I've been lurking on their forum for like a week now and today posted a few queries to the group. I've already gotten several wonderful responses from really knowledgeable people.

So, my questions are: Are greys okay with shy cats (Bandit) and bunnies (SweetPea)? Also, do greys need to run or are a few good walks a day okay for them?

If you have any advice on either of those questions, PLEASE comment on this post or on GreyTalk.com!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9/16/2009 9:10 PM, Anonymous George - kelseyslackey said…

    That's sad about the 3 bunnies, but of course, I'm glad you are considering a grey. You already know about GreyTalk -you should get lots of greytvadvice there. I don't know first hand about the bunnies, but my Kelsey lived for about a year in a home with a bunny and a cat, and she had lived with 4 cats forbthe last 10 years, including a "fraidy-cat", without any problems whatsoever.

    I would recommend you look for a group that does fostering, and tell them you need a small animal safe hound. Let me know if you need any info. :)

     
  • At 9/17/2009 3:29 AM, Anonymous Jade said…

    I wouldn't necessarily recommend bringing a retired racing greyhound into a home with rabbits. Racing greyhounds are trained to chase "rabbits" (mechanical ones, but often covered with rabbit fur for a bit of pseudo-realism), and it would take a lot of work to break one of that habit. You might want to find out if any of the rescues know of anyone who has been successful bringing a greyhound into a home with a rabbit, and then contact that person for details.

    That said, there are plenty of other breeds who are in shelters awaiting homes that may be a better match. However you end up going about it, I wish you all kinds of success.

     
  • At 9/17/2009 11:22 AM, Blogger Dana Gillin said…

    Thanks for the advice, Jade. I'm actually researching the hell out of this and have found quite a few greyhounds that couldn't be bothered with rabbits or cats. I'd obviously need one of those -- with low predatory skills.

    Shelters can tell us which greys are good with small animals and which are too high-strung around them.

    Obv I'm not going to put Pea and Bandit through any danger here...

    Thanks again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home